Education Program Protocol
The Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (ADE) approval is required for any institution of higher education prior to implementing a new program of study that prepares candidates for any professional educator license in Arkansas or revising an existing approved program for licensure. The review process described herein is to ensure that programs fulfill state licensure requirements and align to the standards of the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). ADE is responsible for oversight of the program review and approval process at the state level. (Ark.Code Ann. §6-11-105, §6-17-422, and §6-17-402).
The Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board (AHECB) must grant approval prior to implementation of any professional education program at Arkansas public universities (Ark. Code Ann. §6-61-208) or at postsecondary institutions certified to operate in Arkansas (Ark. Code Ann. §6-61-301). The 2020 DESE Rules Governing Educator Licensure and DESE Rules Governing Educator Support and Development should also be considered to ensure candidates within programs are in compliance prior to licensure application.
- Letter of Intent
- Protocol for the Review and Approval of Programs of Study at Institutions of Higher Education Licensure in Arkansas
- Cover Sheet for Program Approvals
- Program Proposal Guide for New First-Time Licensure Program
- Program Proposal Guide for New Endorsement Program
- Program Proposal Guide for Program Revisions
- Program Proposal Guide for Program Deletion