SIS Exception Requests
Beginning with the SISDB file submission for Academic Year 2011 (2010-11), Summer 2 Term, the Division of Research and Planning has implemented a new process to document validation errors. This new process includes the following.
SIS Validation Errors
These are reported to the sending institution in the same manner as before via the SIS.ADHE.EDU server or via email.
No SIS Validation Errors
When the submitting institution receives a validation indicating no errors, they have completed the submission process
SIS Validation Errors Remaining
The institution updates the SIS report to correct the identified errors remaining.
Exception Requests (ER)
When an institution has corrected as many errors as possible and still has remaining errors that they cannot correct, they may submit an Exception Request (ER). In this ER, the institution will explain the errors and the reason(s) why such errors cannot be corrected.
a. The ER will be submitted to ADHE via the FT.ADHE.EDU server only. They contain confidential information and should never be sent via email.
b. The institution submitting the ER shall notify ADHE staff via email or telephone that the ER has been submitted. Public institutions should send an email notice to Beth Stewart at Beth.Stewart@adhe.edu. Nursing and Independent institutions should send an email notice to Phylesia Davis at Phylesia.Davis@adhe.edu.
c. The Exception Request shall include all of the following:
(1) The ER will be provided in one of these formats – MS Word compatible document, text (.txt) file, or html file.
(2) The ER will include a header (in memorandum style) indicating to whom, from whom, date, subject, etc. Be sure to specify the SIS data submission type.
(3) The ER will contain a complete copy of the most recent SIS validation error report documenting the errors in question.
(4) Within the error report, the institution shall provide a written explanation for each error. Errors may be grouped provided the explanation pertains to all errors in the group. Identify clearly the errors pertaining to the explanation and provide a full and complete explanation as to why the error(s) cannot be corrected.
(5) The file shall be named COLLEGE_ABBR_ExceptionRequest_AcademicYear_Term. For example, UAF_ExceptionRequest_2011_0.doc is from the University of Arkansas Fayetteville for the Summer 2 term on Academic Year 2011 (2010-11).
Exception Request Acknowledge (ERA)
Upon receipt of the ER, ADHE staff will review the exception request and acknowledge its receipt.
a. If the acknowledgement (ERA) requires additional research, the sending institution should repeat step 3 above to correct the specified errors.
b. If the ERA does not require additional research, the sending institution has completed the data submission. However, the institution should consider implementing policy or process revisions to ensure such remaining errors are not present in future data submissions.
Note that Exception Requests are needed only if there are un-resolvable errors on your validation report. If you have no errors remaining, then such ERs are not required.
Should you have any questions, please feel fee to contact Sonia Hazelwood at Sonia.Hazelwood@adhe.edu.
Sample Exception Request