Preventing Unplanned Pregnancies on Arkansas College
and University Campuses
During the 90th General Assembly Regular Session of 2015, House Bill 1534 was passed becoming Act 943 which requires the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board to develop an action plan to address the prevention of unplanned pregnancy. In collaboration with designees from public universities and community colleges, a working group was formed, co-chaired by Lynnette Watts of Women's Foundation of Arkansas and Angela Lasiter of Arkansas Department of Higher Education, to craft an action plan that was presented to the Legislative Council in November 2015 and will be monitored annually.
Below are documents for your review:
- Interview with Angela Lasiter by the Chronicle of Higher Education on this work taking place in Arkansas and also Mississippi who were the first in the nation to have legislation of this nature (Arkansas being second); and
- Act 943 which sets forth the requirements of the working group, the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board and all Arkansas public colleges and universities.
- Action Plan by the Act 943 Working Group to prevent unplanned pregnancies among 18 and 19 year old Arkansas college and university students.
- Interview with Angela Lasiter by Stateline Newsource affiliated with Pew Charitable Trust.
- KARK TV story on the March 3, 2016 summit on preventing unplanned pregnancies with the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancies.
- Newspaper article spotlighting the great work of our co-chair Dr. Roger Guevara from SAU. So proud of you!
- Presentation that was given by Angela Lasiter at the Preventing Unplanned Pregnancies Summit March 3, 2016 at the Clinton School of Public Service.
- The Arkansas State Board of Nursing June Journal featured the work of the Arkansas Campaign to Prevent Unplanned Pregnancy written by Angela Lasiter, Maddie Parrish and Dr. Roger Guevara from SAU.
- The completed first video addressing the prevention of unplanned pregnancies for all two and four year students in higher education. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCyQMrSUg8
- New website for the Arkansas Campaign to Prevent Unplanned Pregnancy: www.youractionplanar.com
- College of the Ouachitas just completed their Fall 2016 Orientation with 105 students in attendance watching the Preventing Unplanned Pregnancy video. (see photos)
If you have any questions, please telephone Angela Lasiter at 501-371-2021 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.